With TV season finales airing all this month, expect some characters to come back next season as different people—figuratively speaking, of course. Or, literally speaking in regard to Boy Meets World having two different actors play Morgan Matthews and three different actors play Topanga Lawrence’s father. Here are the six biggest TV character transformations.
Leslie Knope on Parks and Recreation
Played by Amy Poehler
One of the most influential females on TV, the goofy Season 1 Leslie Knope wildly differs from the empowering (and waffle-loving) Knope we now know and love. In Season 1, she appears as the female equivalent to Michael Scott, giving goofy hand gestures and falling into a pit. Over the course of the rest of the series, her Pawnee pride emerges as she enters local politics (and makes friendship quilts!) Nowadays, Leslie Knope fits in a conversation with Michelle Obama and Ruth Bader Ginsberg. As she should.
- - PHILIPPE MODEL Men's BALUTN04 bluee Suede Sneakers
- KKEPO& Fashion Women Casual Sneaker shoes Ladies Lace-up Vulcanized Couple shoes Breathable Canvas shoes Graffiti Flat Chaussure Femme Black 2616 8
- A-LING Women Low Top Rubber Sole Casual Canvas Sneaker shoes
- Edv0d2v266 Women shoes Platform Hidden Wedge Boots shoes for Women High Heel Top Open Toe Canvas shoes Casual shoes Ladies(Pink 36 5.5 B(M) US Women)
- AnnaKastle Womens Faux Leather Lace up Sneaker
- Alerghrg Flat Sandals Pompon Sandalias Basic Open Toe Black Burgundy Small Size 34-40
- Crocs Unisex Duet Wave Flip
- Nike Men's Rosherun Wolf Grey White Running shoes 9
- LLloyd Men's Hadar Chukka Boots
- Womens Flat Platform Sneakers Canvas Casual Soft Rubber Sole Lace Up Low Top Non Skid Walking shoes
- Kenneth Cole REACTION Womens Tole Booth Heeled Sandal
- LIAOYLY Premium 2018 Real Fox Hair Slippers Flip Flops Summer shoes Beach Slides Slip Furry
- Pleaser Women's Blondie-615 B-R M Platform Sandal
- Pleaser Women's Revolver-708 Platform Sandal
- Nine Seven Genuine Leather Women's Square Toe Mid Chunky Heel Slip On Handmade Fashion Pump shoes
- Easy Spirit Womens North8 Ankle Boot
- Cactus Men's 7 7611 Honey Wellington Boot
- Hush Puppies Mens Cale Oxford Plain Toe shoes Black Size UK 12 EU 47
- Dr. Scholl's shoes Womens Baker Wide Calf Knee High Boot
- Buffalo Womens 1330-6 Rising Towers Low Leather Boots
- Kawasaki Rainbow Retro Basic, Unisex Adults Low-Top Sneakers, White (White Navy Red Stripes), 5 UK (38 EU)
- EuroRoutier Sicherheitsschuhe New Black Premium brown SB A+E
- WLFHM Autumn Casual Men's shoes Invisible 8cm Leather shoes
- Adidas Men’s D Lillard 2 BHM Basketball shoes
- Black ZHZNVX Women's Synthetics Summer Sandals Stiletto Heel Peep Toe Buckle Black Red bluee Party & Evening color Block
- High Heels Women Pumps Bling High Heels Glitter High Heel shoes Woman Wedding shoes
- Karen Scott Womens Ghwen Pointed Toe Slingback Classic Pumps
- New Women Sandals Transparent Flat Summer Gladiator Open Toe Clear Jelly shoes Ladies Roman Beach Sandals Black
- Women's Buckle Leather Mules Moccasins Round Toe Slip On Flat Fashion Loafer shoes
- Adidas Performance Men's GSG-9.4 Tactical Boot
- Saucony Women's Spitfire Track shoes
- AnnaKastle SoYou Womens Genuine Leather Platform Slip-On Sneakers
- Enimay Women's Flat Rhinestone Thong Sandal
- AIWEIYi Womens Round toe Square High Heels Buckle Strap Ankle Boots Platform Dress Pump shoes Black
- Cotswold Brockworth Suede Ladies Ankle Boots
- Chx Sports Women's shoes Retro Harajuku Simple Hong Kong Style Old shoes Four Seasons Women's shoes
- HOKA ONE ONE Women's Stinson 3 ATR Trail Running shoes, Grey Neon Pink, 6
- Clarks Women's Medora Sage Ankle Boot
- Cambridge Select Women's Open Toe Strappy Slingback Platform High Heel Sandal
- CJC shoes Thick Casual shoes Round Head Fashion shoes (color Black, Size EU37 UK4.5-5)
- Men's Air Zoom Vapor X Wide Tennis shoes
- Mephisto Womens Lolita Ankle Bootie
- Men Boots Tactical Training Desert High-top Boots Breathable Lightweight
- GAOLIXIA Men's Leather Business shoes Spring Summer British Style Driving shoes Flat Casual shoes Lazy shoes Fashion Peas shoes Large Size 44-48
- Ben Sherman Henry, Men’s Henry
Ben Chang on Community
Played by Ken Jeong
While my mind still can’t fully grasp that Donald Glover, Alison Brie, and Joel McHale were all on a TV show together, I am as baffled with Ben Chang’s transformation. He changes from an unstable Spanish teacher to a Greendale student that gets bitten by a monkey and is living in the air vents. Chang’s kookiness makes Seinfeld’s Kramer look normal. After all, there’s something genius about a coffee table book of coffee tables, but faking your own type of amnesia? That’s straight up Ben Chang.
Ryan Howard on The Office
Played by B.J. Novak
Ryan was merely known as the “Fire Guy” and Michael Scott’s crush at Dunder Mifflin in the first season of The Office. Over the course of the series he gets promoted to Vice President of the company, gets sent to prison, becomes a drug addict, and inexplicably bleaches his hair. He went from a second-rate Jim Halpert to an employee that only Kelly Kapoor (and Michael Scott) could love.
Jan Levinson on The Office
Played by Melora Hardin
Just as Ryan became an irrational, comedic character at Dunder Mifflin, Vice President of the company and Michael’s ex-girlfriend Jan Levinson did as well (but even more). Famous Jan moments include her scented candle business, her fascination with her assistant Hunter, and recording a Doris Day cover album. And to think this character transformation began all with a beach trip to Sandals Resorts Jamaica.
Topanga Lawrence on Boy Meets World
Played by Danielle Fishel
Though most characters change from “normal” to “weird” on TV shows, Topanga Lawrence on Boy Meets World has the opposite transformation. After all, you know if she was intended to be Cory Matthews’ long-term love interest, her name would be Erica or Ashley, not Topanga. She goes from a hippie that performs an interpretive dance titled “Donut in the Sky” to a bookworm perfectionist. Personally, I think Cory, famously known for having a poster of celery, would be fine with either Topanga.
Eric Matthews on Boy Meets World
Played by Will Friedle
Since Boy Meet World’s strange character became normal, another person on the show needs to take that role. Enter Eric Matthews: the cool older brother from Season 1. Over the series, he catches the curtains on fire, hides in the couch, and calls himself “Kyle.” Most bizarrely, Eric appears as a bearded hermit named “Plays with Squirrels” at an imaginary high school reunion. Who would imagine a popular baseball player would transform into this comedic character? But, I’m here for it. The only lasting trait throughout is the everlasting “Fee-hee-hee-hee-nay” call.
Any characters missing from the list? And no, Pam Beesly making better style choices in later seasons of The Office doesn’t count.